This is the process I use when working on a band or model photo commission.
- Photo brief: Send questionnaire to client.
- Research & reference: Research the industry, its history, its competitors and logo designs that have been successful.
- Sketching & conceptualising: Develop the shoot concept(s).
- Reflection: Take a break and let the ideas develop. Get feedback.
- Presentation: Present a selection of ideas to the client or a whole collection.
- Set up: Collect/make props, gather locations, styling and anything else needed
- Shoot: This is self explanitary
- Post production: Downloading the images, sorting through the best shots, editing and any photo manipulation required
- Delivery: Send a download link of High res and web use photos. Then party, share and enjoy!
Step one: Photography brief
I Send out a few questions to start the design process off. This is standard questionnaire I send to clients…
- Please provide a little information about what you/your band
- Key words that describe you/your bands style – eg. bizarre, fetish, metal, grunge, crazy
- What do you like/dislike about your current press shots/portfolio (if you have one)? Please can I see them.
- Who are your competitors/peers in the same field please give links if possible?
- “Look and feel” you are looking for? dark, crazy, funny, strange, surreal, sexy, traditional etc.
- Any definite ideas you have about the shoot + examples of photos you like/dislike (links if possible)?
- Who is your Target audience?
- How/where will the photos be used?
- Any other information you would like to add
Step two: Research & reference
On receiving the questionnaire back I conduct some research based on the answers given. Namely on the model/scene/band, their market, their competitors and peers, their target audience and the inspiration/key words they have given.
Step three: Sketching & conceptualising
I start by brainstorming with a sketchbook, pencils and a drawing pen. Select a few strong ideas from the sketches and start to work them up to a standard I’m happy with then I draw the best few ideas to show the client.
Step four: Reflection
Take a break and relax, let the ideas develop and mature. Work any new angles into the shoot and wait for feedback from the client. Adjust anything desired by the client if it’s needed and effective.
Step five: Presentation
I present the shot ideas and variations to the client.
Step six: Set up
Collect/make props, gather locations, styling and anything else needed
Step seven: Shoot
This is self explanitary, click click click, move your leg a tiny bit to the right etc
Step eight: Post production
Downloading the images, sorting through the best shots, editing and any photo manipulation required
Step nine: Delivery
Send a download link of High res and web use photos. Then party, share and enjoy!