This is the design process I use when working on a company/business/band logo.
- Design brief: Send questionnaire to client.
- Research & reference: Research the industry, its history, its competitors and logo designs that have been successful.
- Sketching & conceptualising: Develop the logo design concept(s).
- Reflection: Take breaks through the design process and let your ideas develop. Get feedback.
- Presentation: Present a selection of logos to the client or a whole collection.
Step one: Design brief
I Send out a few questions to start the design process off. This is standard questionnaire I send to clients…
- Your company name – as it should be used on the logo design
- Strap line to go with your logo – if required
- Please provide a little information about what your company does
- Key words that describe your company – eg. friendly, reliable
- What do you like/dislike about your current logo (if you have one)? Please can I see it.
- Who are your competitors/Other Charities in the same field please give links if possible?
- “Look and feel” required such as contemporary/traditional/brash/minimal/corporate/fun/
- Any definite ideas you have about the logo design + examples of logo design you like/dislike (links if possible)?
- Who is your Target audience?
- Colour preferences if any. Should the logo be single colour/two colour/full colour/no specific preference?
- How/where will the logo be used?
- Any other information you would like to add
Step two: Research & reference
On receiving the questionnaire back I conduct some research based on the answers given. Namely on the company/band, their market, their competitors and peers, their target audience and the logos they have provided as inspiration.
Step three: Sketching & conceptualising
I start by brainstorming with a sketchbook, pencils and a drawing pen. Select a few strong ideas from the sketches and start to work them up to a standard I’m happy with then I draw the best few ideas in Adobe Illustrator and play with colours and tweak shapes about to get a strong memorable design to show the client.
Step four: Reflection
Take a break and relax, let the ideas develop and mature. Work any new angles into the design and wait for feedback from the client. Adjust anything desired by the client if it’s needed and effective.
Step five: Presentation
I present the logo and or logo variations to the client and party in celebration of a job well done.